The First Building is the first to be constructed in Bradfield City Centre.
Scheduled for completion in early 2024, the First Building is the start of a new industry-led ecosystem to connect and attract local and global industry partners, and to nurture and grow a workforce skilled for the future.
Housed in the First Building will be stage one of the Advanced Manufacturing Research Facility (AMRF). Featuring a hall surrounded by glass, visitors will be able to see all the action, and watch as prototypes and new technologies are tested.
Consent for the State Significant Development (SSD) Application SSD-25452459 was granted on 9 September 2022 by the Minister for Planning, NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE).
Construction of the First Building is now underway. See below for a short video update from the slab pouring.
Connecting and designing with Country
Connecting and designing with Country is at the heart of the First Building’s design.
Taking its cues from the surrounding natural waterways and the Cumberland Plains, the building will be open and welcoming, surrounded by green and open spaces where residents, workers and visitors can gather. The building will have sustainability at its core, setting the benchmark for the new city.
For more information about the inspiration behind the building's design and surrounds, please watch the following video.
[Beginning of recorded material]
Hello, my name's Liz Westgarth and i'm the architect leading the first building.
Hi, I'm John Hazelwood, a landscape architect working on the landscape setting for the building and really pleased to be working with Danièle Hromek
Hi I'm Danièle Hromek I'm a Budawang/Yuin woman and I'm the cultural designer and researcher for this first building. This is beautiful, Wianamatta Country out in Western Sydney. As you can see it's Cumberland Plains Woodlands. It's beautiful country with rolling grasslands, these magnificent eucalypts spotting the landscape and water. It's a very important water place. The water here is sacred. It's important in so many ways, especially to women, and it's an important place for us to be working on. So we have used Country as our inspiration and our guide. We've looked at things like cultural practice, women's relationships to place, how men come in play a role in this and how to use materiality in a really sensitive way.
We've been working closely with Daniele to ensure that the the landscape setting of the building reflects the context in the setting of Cumberland Plain and of Country. It will be an exemplar of how this can be reflected meaningful in a contemporary and urban setting. The landscape will celebrate the connection to water that Daniele has discussed and a setting of beautiful tree stands that are diverse carpet of understory plants. And will include places for many people to gather and to celebrate and places to sit quietly, a meandering an intimate landscape in a new city centre.
The first building will sit softly within the landscape, blurring the line between built form and the landscape, allowing the landscape to flow through and have a female character. The first building will really be a memorable landmark. It also needs to be flexible and adaptable to evolve over time. It has a role to inspire investment and it must be welcoming and engaging and really start to showcase the values of the city, particularly around environmental and social sustainability, but also it has to be advanced and innovative unique to place and Country.
[End of recorded material]
If you have any questions or would like to further discuss the project with us, please contact the project team here.
Prior to the commencement of the construction for the development, the following information and documents were made publicly available in accordance with SSD-25452459 Condition C11:
- Condition A2 – SSD Instrument of Consent Documentation, Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and Statutory Approvals
- Condition A9 – Project Staging Strategy Plan
- Condition B3 – Sydney Metro Security Risk Consultation
- SSDA Condition B3 - SRA Endorsement by Sydney Metro (PDF, 295 KB)
- NSW DPE First Building Condition B3 Letter (PDF, 123 KB)
- Condition B16 – Project Arborist Engagement
- NSW DPE First Building Condition B16 Letter (PDF, 123 KB)
- Condition B17 – Tree Retention Plan
- SSDA Condition B17 - Arborist Report and Ecologist Sign-off (PDF, 6.4 MB)
- NSW DPE First Building Condition B17 Letter (PDF, 123 KB)
- NSW DPE Approval of Tree Retention Plan - Condition B17 (PDF, 63 KB)
- Condition B19 – Tree Protection Certification
- Condition B21 – Ecologists Salvage Report
- Condition C2 – Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP)
- CEMP Stage 2 Management Plan (PDF, 7.1 MB)
- Condition B1 – Construction Traffic Management Plan
- Condition B10 – Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
- Condition B31 – Construction Noise Management Plan
- Condition B43 – Unexpected Finds Protocol
- Community Consultation and Complaints Handling
- NSW DPE First Building Condition C2 Letter (PDF, 123 KB)
- NSW DPE Approval of Stage 2 CEMP (PDF, 67 KB)
- CEMP Stage 2 Management Plan (PDF, 7.1 MB)
- Crown Certificate (CC) 01 Enabling Works Plans
- CC01 Early Works – Section 6.28 Signed Certification (PDF, 253 KB)
The accompanying NSW DPE Letter of Approvals are contained in the respective links above.